Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Long Road Rewarded by Estefania Alcantar




My name is Estefania Alcantar, I am 23 years old born in Morelia, Michoacán Mexico and raised in West Dallas. I attended Eladio R. Martinez Elementary School, Thomas A. Edison Middle School, L.G. Pinkston High School and Texas A&M University.  

College was one of the most challenging experiences for me. I thought I was ready for college since I was an “A and B” honor roll student all my life and graduated salutatorian from L.G. Pinkston High School in 2009.

Fall 2009 was my first semester at Texas A&M University. I was enrolled in 18 credit hours and enrolled in the Corps of Cadets, senior military program. The Corps advisor advised me to drop one class, so I took her advice and dropped one class. I started my first day of classes with 15 credit hours, no books and no friends. I did not have books because I did not have money to pay for them and none of my high school friends went to Texas A&M University.

My first year in college was one of the worst years in my college career, but it was also one of the best years. I remember calling my Dad crying because I had made my first “F” something I was not used to. He told me to be strong and to not give up. I learned that I had to work really hard if I wanted to reach my goals and if I wanted to serve as a role model for the younger generation.  

I finished my first semester with a 1.727 GPA, something I was very disappointed about. When I came home that winter break I was told to consider leaving A&M and to attend community college in Dallas. Even though this seemed like the best thing to do, I refused because I like to finish what I start.

Mercy Street hooked me up with ScholarShot who helped me pay for books and who provided me with a laptop. Because of the books, laptop and most importantly the support from Mercy Street, ScholarShot, family and friends I finished my second semester with a 3.333 GPA. After my freshman year there was no stopping me.  I made sure that every time I came home I had good news and that I exceeded peoples expectation of me. I always felt pressured because I was the first person in my entire family to attend a four year University and I did not want to disappoint my family, and all those who supported me during this journey of ups and downs.

I will graduate from Texas A&M University on May 10, 2014 with a Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Development and a minor in Business Administration. Before graduation one of the requirements for my degree was to intern for a company doing something in my career field. Mercy Street helped me find an internship with Austin Bridge & Road were I interned with the Human Resource Department.

There was no hope of them offering me a full-time job because they had recently hired someone and there were no openings. I prayed that I would find a full- time job before my internship was over.

In early April, the Human Resource Director told me about a possible position but nothing was set. On April 22, 2014 I was surprised for lunch at Texas Cattle where I was offered a full-time position from Austin Commercial. I accepted the offer and will start full-time May 12, 2014, the Monday after graduation.

I feel EXTREMELY BLESSED that God has never left my side and that he continues to bless me every single day. Every day, I ask God to guide me in the direction he wants me to go even if that is not what I had in mind. I am excited to start this new journey in my life and I ask everyone to continue to keep me in their prayers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment