Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Welfare of the City
by Susanna Carlson

Hi everyone! Honestly I’m not quite sure how to start this off – I’ve never been part of a group-type blog before. But here it goes…
I am amazed that I have already been at Mercy Street for a month. In some ways it feels as if I just started yesterday and in other ways it feels as if I have been here for many months. Already on this journey there have been bumps and wobbles, mistakes and frustrations, laughter, love, and a whole lot of passion for the Kingdom of God. So far this summer has been exhaustingly busy and borderline emotional. I am confident that it will continue to be so and quite frankly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

This past week, my college group at church (Park Cities Presbyterian for you Dallasites) began a series about the Gospel in college based off of Tim Keller’s series called “The Gospel in Life.” As we began to read through Jeremiah 29, one verse in particular jumped out at me:
“But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord in its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.”
 – Jeremiah 29:7
            I am not sure if my jaw literally dropped or not but it felt like it did. Here it was – here was the passion and calling that every day is becoming more near and dear to my heart. At the time this verse was written, the Israelites were living in Babylon, a very powerful and corrupt city. What a command God gives His people! Instead of telling them to keep to themselves and avoid the city and culture at all costs, He commands them to seek the welfare of the city. To love the city and the people within its walls. To live in Babylon and put down roots (Jeremiah 29:6).
            Just like the Israelites in Babylon, I believe I am being called to seek the welfare of Dallas. I believe that I am called to be committed, to put down roots. That can be tricky right now – I will only be here for a summer before I move back to college. To make it even more confusing I have no idea where I will end up after I graduate. It could be Dallas, or it could be pretty much anywhere else. But a few verses down, the Lord gives another great promise:
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
- Jeremiah 29:11-13
            So for this summer, I am here. I am at Mercy Street and desiring to love and pour into some really neat high school students. I am here in Dallas desiring the welfare of this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment