Monday, June 30, 2014

Incarnational Living
by Rachel Anderson

“And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is LOVE.”
1 Corinthians 13:13

As I sat down to write this blog and began reminiscing over my first five weeks at Mercy Street, I soon realized that I could not even attempt to explain all the Lord has taught me about His character and missional living, so bear with me as I try to cram a lot of thoughts into one small blog.
Each week we have a fun packed schedule with our junior interns where we conduct many trainings, teachings and weekly serving programs, with the aim to challenge and build up our sweet junior interns. In addition to this we are also given a small group (huddle group) of young girls to disciple. My huddle group partner, Miss Chelsea Boyd (shout out!) and I would go through a different passage from Luke each day and then of course have a time of discussion. This is such a beneficial time to really build a relationship with the girls and to walk together each day as sisters in Christ.
But before I let my excitement get the best of me, I wanted this blog to be about the ministry that continues after the doors of Mercy Street are closed. As you all know, Mercy Street truly grasps the need of living within the community, and living here has opened up my eyes to the complete necessity of setting up home right in the midst of the neighborhood. The bible tells us that the Son “became flesh and DWELT among us” (John 1:14) and after a short five weeks I have witnessed the effectiveness of His followers doing the same thing.
For instance, I am living with an awesome family who are involved at Mercy Street and from the minute I got here, the doorbell has not stopped once. Every evening I come home to find a different group of young people hanging out in the living room, and even now as I write this blog Princess and Raymond (both junior interns) are downstairs with their feet up, chilling with a cup of tea. Not only does this create a comfortable environment for people to feel loved and wanted, but it serves as a constant reminder to make serving the Lord and others a lifestyle, however that might look.
The experience has been an amazing roller coaster to say the least. God has taught me so much and I am eternally grateful for His grace in giving me opportunities to meet so many wonderful people who continue to inspire me with their desire to sacrificially serve the Lord in ALL they do.

All praise and Glory to the King of kings!

No comments:

Post a Comment