Monday, July 7, 2014

Father to the Fatherless
by Stephen Painter

Try to imagine growing up fatherless. I can't. It's something that I've taken for granted for almost twenty years. I don't know your story, but I do know that almost every junior intern in the program has never experienced a father. Let me clarify. Many know or have heard of their biological fathers, but I could count on one hand the number I've met who have grown up with one that legitimately cares, protects, provides, and leads them. I see in them a missing piece I've never had to live without. This reality struck me like a knife to the heart today in our huddle group time.
            Studying different characteristics of God in pursuit of learning how to adore and worship Him, I noticed "Abba" on our list of options. As if I'd found gold, I immediately pointed it out and began to ask them about it. The passage provided was Romans 8:15:

For you did not receive the Spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!"

After noting that this was a call out to God as a dad, one intern asked, "What does that mean to me?" Another intern then recalled a story of his father returning from prison and him asking his father, "Why do I need you?" His mom had been the provider and he wondered what his dad could do that his mom didn't already have under control. At this point, I was able to describe the personal relationship that I've had with my father growing up. I emphasized what he emphasized to me when raising me: faith, wisdom, integrity, love, proper treatment of women, giving, and a servant-heart. Recognizing that every dad is imperfect, whether he's there or not, we were able to convey God as The Father who lovingly created them with inherent worth. Psalms 139:13-14 paint a beautiful picture of this. He is the Father they need. He is the Father to the fatherless.
            Before closing, I'd like to note that being fatherless is not their only obstacle. I point it out because I perceive it to be one of the hardest to overcome. Please be praying that God would use the discipleship of this summer to sanctify and transform the hearts of us (the senior interns), the junior interns especially, and those that we are ministering to. Thank you for your affection and prayer!

"The Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Grace be with you. Amen." - 2 Timothy 4:22

In Christ,

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Stephen! You give us great Joy! The peace of Christ be with you.

    ReplyDelete