Monday, July 7, 2014

To Change A Life - by Caitlin McCoy

There is something about listening to students share their passion for the Gospel that sparks a flame in my heart. I sat down with the Mercy Street junior and senior summer interns and walked away feeling so encouraged to be a part of the body of Christ. These high school and college students are sacrificing their summer time to pour their hearts into West Dallas; though after hearing their stories, it sounds like West Dallas is also pouring into them.

They began the summer with training ranging from the background of West Dallas, to bible methodology, to how to share their story and God’s story in less than three minutes.  From there, they began spending time with the kiddos of Mercy Street in bible studies, games, and lessons. During one of the bible studies an intern asked a group of young kids to say one thing they know about Jesus; they chuckled at the sweet answer given by one child, “Jesus loves me, and Jesus puts me in time out when I’m being bad.”

After that, every single child in the room wanted to share something about Jesus. “They are all hungry and want to know more about Him. They just want someone to teach them. And I’ll be honest; I came in with a ‘hero complex’ thinking I was going to save these kids. But Jesus is already here, I’m just here to love them and help them understand who He is” said an intern.

One thing I love about this internship program is that they don’t go to their own homes when the day is over. They stay in West Dallas and live in host homes. “Living in a host home has completely changed my heart. It’s really pumped me up for serving the inner-city and has opened my eyes to so much more.”

“After living here, I don’t want to live anywhere else,” said another. “Living out of my comfort zone and living to serve others is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Living in West Dallas has changed my perception of these wonderful people and has shown me that we really aren’t that different from each other.”

Excitement and passion overflowed from each answer they gave to my questions. They didn’t seem exhausted from their work, but refreshed from the love and openness they are receiving from the West Dallas community. I could tell that this wasn’t going to be some fleeting internship that would soon be forgotten after summer passed, but a life changing experience that will prepare them for greater things in their future.

Walking with the kids every day. Living in their community. Understanding their pain and laughing with them in their joys. This is how Jesus lived on earth. He created relationships with His disciples and walked with all peoples. He did not put Himself on a pedestal, separated from His sheep. He lived with them and poured His life into theirs.

As we wrapped up our time together, one young man said, “Twelve weeks is just a glimpse of what it takes to truly understand the spiritual and physical needs of a community. Though, I can still invest in these kids in the time that I have here.”


Train up a child the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6

To read more of Caitlin's work find it here: http://undeservingandflawed.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment