Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Keep it Real
by Laura Alcantar


Building relationships this summer has been one of my key points to nail. I was so determined to build a foundation of trust with my girls that it became a mission more than a heart-desired hope. I soon realized how hard I was pushing to be part of their circle of trust that in the midst of it I was becoming more and more of a stranger to them. As I sat in my home the 29th day of June just asking the Lord to give me the answer to get closer to my girls I remember coming across Proverbs 12:26 “A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” The answer I anticipated was staring me right in the eye! I evaluated my actions from before and realized I was trying to be something I wasn’t. From that moment forward I vowed to be myself. Authenticity is the number one key to a long lasting friendship. Soon after I changed my game plan I noticed my girls began to open up about hardships, fears, and hopes for the summer. I recently received a call from one of my girls named Tori. She needed guidance for a situation she had no idea how to resolve. I couldn’t be more elated to know that my girls were beginning to really like me for the genuine love I was offering them and not the character I was dressing up as, to be on their good side. This summer has been full of bonding experiences and even though it’s beyond just building life lasting relationships, we all have to start somewhere. Wherever or however we begin, I believe being true to oneself and others will not only build a life lasting friendship, but a strong one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment